Summertime in Texas means 100 degrees days and finding any means necessary to keep cool. Swimming is, of course, at the top of everyone’s list. Aside from staying cool and out of the heat, swimming also has many therapeutic properties and we highly recommend swimming to a majority of our patients. We do caution our patients with high muscle tone with pools that have very cold water, as the cold water can cause muscles to increase in rigidity. There are several heated pools in and around Austin that would be best for patients who have high muscle tone.
We were recently asked about swimming pools with wheelchair access either by a ramp or chair lift and are happy to share what we have learned with all of you! We started by asking the great folks at Free Fun in Austin to ask their readers for contributions to this list, to our surprise, most of the Austin pools were listed. After a call to the Austin Aquatics office, we learned that the City of Austin installed chair lifts at nearly every pool in Austin before the 2014 season began! We called and emailed surrounding areas to verify accessibility as well and have compiled this list.
Initially, we were calling every pool individually and some of the locations we spoke with mentioned that their chair lifts were under repair, so we do advise that you call ahead to make sure the lift is available and functional.
If we missed one, please let us know and we will update the list!
This list of Austin pools is copied from the City of Austin Website. For a full list of pool features including whether or not the pool is heated, the City of Austin provides this great comparison chart. Entry fees vary from Free to $5.
North Austin Facilities
- Balcones Pool – 12017 Amherst Dr
- Brentwood – 6710 Arroy Seco
- Canyon Vista – 8455 Spicewood Springs
- Kennemer – 1031 Peyton Gin Rd
- Northwest – 7000 Ardath St
- Walnut Creek – 12138 N Lamar Blvd
- Bartholomew – 1800 E 51st St
- Civitan – 513 Vargas Rd
- Dottie Jordan – 2803 Loyola Ln
- Givens – 3811 E 12th St
- Govalle – 5200 Bolm Rd
- Mabel Davis – 3427 Parker Ln
- Martin – 1626 Nash Hernandez Sr Dr
- Metz – 2407 Canterbury St
- Montopolis – 1200 Montopolis Dr
- Parque Zaragoza – 741 Pedernales St
- Patterson – 1400 Wilshire Blvd
- Rosewood – 1182 Pleasant Valley
- Barton Springs Pool – 2131 William Barton Dr
- Big Stacy – 700 E Live Oak St
- Dick Nichols – 8011 Beckett Rd
- Dittmar – 1009 W Dittmar Dr
- Dove Springs – 5701 Ainez Dr
- Garrison – 6001 Manchaca Rd
- Gillis – 2504 Durwood Ave
- Deep Eddy – 401 Deep Eddy Ave
- Ramsey – 4200 Burnet Rd
- Reed – 2600 Pecos St
- Shipe – 4400 Ave G
- West Austin – 1317 W 10th St
- Westenfield – 2000 Enfield Rd
YMCA Austin – Verified with Program Manager that ALL Austin YMCA locations now have a wheelchair lift available.
Georgetown Recreation Center – 1003 N Austin Ave, Georgetown 78626 – 512.930.3541 – Indoor pool. Wheelchair lift available.
Hays County Pools
Kyle City Pool – 1100 W Center St, Kyle 78640 – PH: 268.5326 :: Wheelchair lift available. Entry fee $1 – $4
YMCA Buda – 465 Buda Sportsplex Dr, Buda 78610 – PH: 512.523.0099
Gilleland Creek – 700 Rail Road Dr, Pflugerville 78660 – PH: 512.990.4392 – Heated pool. Accessible via beach/slope entry
Round Rock Pools
Highland Horizon – 416 Highland Horizon, Round Rock, 78717 – PH: 512.341.7336 – Heated pool. Accessible by ramp. No chair lift. Entry fee $1 – $4
Rock ‘N River Family Aquatic Center – 3300 Palm Valley Blvd – PH: 512.671.2737 – Wheelchair lift available.
Sendero Springs – 4203 Pasada Lane, Round Rock 78681 – PH: 512.218.1495 – Heated pool. Wheelchair lift available. Entry fee $1 – $4